We can’t talk about relief for muscle spasms without talking about the elephant in the room, NSAIDs like ibuprofen and aspirin. While many of us are conditioned to reach for the bottle when we experience an ache, do we even know what we’re putting in our bodies?
Understand that NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. When an injury impairs your cells, they release prostaglandins to alert the system through pain. When you take an NSAID, it works by preventing injured cells from making prostaglandins, which in turn makes the pain less severe. However, these NSAIDs can be extremely harmful to the digestive system. Frequent use can affect the digestive tract, causing ulcers, stomach irritation, and/or reflux.
HOW CAN I PREVENT MUSCLE PAIN FROM HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE?
CBD is not the only way to keep muscle pain at bay. To keep your muscles strong and spasm-free, also consider the following:
- Engaging with a personal trainer to learn proper form for exercising
- Stretching before intense workouts
- Drinking plenty of water to prevent muscle spasms associated with dehydration.
- Giving your body time to recover by working out different muscles when working out back-to-back
- Choosing foods that help combat inflammation. These include:
- Cherry juice
- Foods rich in Vitamin D such as eggs and fish
- Foods rich in Magnesium, such as bananas and almonds